Continuing on the build
Now that all of the track was down and the layout wired it was time to start on the scenery.
|The loco storage is to the right with the caboose track beside it|
|This is how the town of Augusta finished up looking. The track to the left is an interchange track.|
I decided that I wanted to use a different scenery product so whilst wondering around at a local train show I came across a product called Carrs. This is an English model supply company that I had not seen before. I purchased several small plastic bags of various shades of their ground foam. It is much finer than the Woodlands ground foams I had used previously and blended together very well. So after applying a wash of colour to the plaster I set about laying some foam. It was important that I had the lighter colours on the higher sides of the small hills with the darker colours on the low side and in the valleys as this is were water gathers and the grass is much healthier.
My friend Vic assembled and made some modifications to a Micro Engineering bridge kit for the bridge over the Washita River and supplied the cast plaster bridge abutments. While Vic was building bridges I was scratch building the Fitzpatrick Plastic Plant for Winfield. This was an article that was featured way back in Model Railroader with the plans drawn for HO. I used several sized thicknesses of styrene, Slater's embossed brick styrene (another English company) and electrical conduit for the bulk storage bins. For the tapered lower portion of the bins I used a casting resin in a very small funnel and by first giving it a coat of Vaseline I was able to remove the castings quite easily.
|Work underway fitting the Washita River bridge|
|My Scratch built Fitzpatrick Plastics facility|
That's it for today stop by again.