Wednesday, 17 December 2014

Custom Painting Part 6

The last two locos.

     I wanted to get the last two Alcos decaled and weathered to be able to hand them back to Graham before Christmas.
     I did all of the usual things one needs to do when applying Micro Scale decals only this time I did wait until the decal had completely dried before applying the Solvaset. I was able to get more decals laid at the one time so that helped speed up the process. These orange stripes are very fragile and I have to admit that there is a couple of bloopers in a few spots. All wear and tear will be the story to Graham and I'm sure he will be okay with the results not to worry too much.
    Once the decals had been washed I then gave the body shells a good spray of Dull Cote as per my previous posts.
    I did not want to go too heavy with the weathering on these two C630's so each of the 4 I have done should look a little different once running on the KCS. I used the Black Tamyia Panel Line Accent Paint to add just a smidgin of colour to each panel line, around all of the flat panels and doors along the top and sides of the body of the locos with a very light wash on the walkways.
   The top grills of the loco got a wash of black whilst the side rear grills got a wash of the Panel Paint Brown. I then wet the area around the exhaust with the panel Black and then dabbed in some Pan Pastel Black to make the top look more like exhaust smoke stains.
   The trucks on these two received a brush coat of flat black and when dry I dusted them with some Pan Pastel grey and a small amount of rust to bring out some of the details.
   So that's the last of these four Alcos. It will be good to see them on the KCS when a few of us head there for a run tomorrow.
   Here's just a couple of shots as they sit with the body's yet to be added to the chassis.



That's it for another day so thanks again for stopping by.

Rod.

Wednesday, 10 December 2014

Custom Painting Part 5

Next on the list was an Alco C424
    
     This is the second of four locos to weather for Graham. I decided to tackle the C424 just so I could do a different model. I used pretty much the same technique that I used on the last loco in my post Custom Painting Part 4.
    I had some issues with the decals moving on the last one as I applied the Solvaset so this time I made sure I waited until the decal had completely dried before applying it. I also added more of the striping before moving onto the next stage and this helped cut down the amount of time taken to apply all the decals and sped up the whole process.
   The trucks got a brush of flat black then a light dry brush of rust on the springs, brake cylinders and brake blocks.
   Here are a few of the images of the body of C424 with the windows fitted and the walkway added but not fitted to the chassis as Graham needs to add a decoder to this unit before it can earn its keep on his RR.





     Graham mentioned that when the first unit that received the weathering treatment was put on the tracks it has made the rest of his roster look too new, so I guess you know what that means more weathering to be done on the Kansas City Southern RR fleet. I'm up for it.

Thanks for stopping by
Rod.