Monday, 19 December 2016

Lots more done



Assembly well underway

    I spent a few solid days getting the very BIG roundhouse almost completely assembled so I could move it off the kitchen table and over to Johns for final assembly.
    Fitting the front doors and door frames was not as daunting as first thought just needed to ensure that none of the liquid solvent got into the door pivot pins in the floor and top of the door frame.
    I also sprayed the outside of all roof sections with flat black and underneath surface primer grey and then a dusting of Racing White like the walls.
    Once these had dried I attached the chimneys and smoke deflectors outside and inside the rear roof sections. I then glued all of the center sections of the roof in place on both sections of the model to help stiffen it up for ease of moving it to Johns house.
    And this is how both sections look just before they were taken to Johns on Saturday afternoon.        Final assembly by joining the two halves will be done once the pit holes are machined in the layout sub-roadbed so the roundhouse will sit flat into it.

A couple of pics








    Next is the full assembly once the above mentioned ground work is completed. A big build in many ways so hopefully it looks okay once completed.

Until the next project.
Regards
Rod.

Sunday, 11 December 2016

More on this BIG roundhouse

More painting and preparation done.

    I have steadily been painting the window frames for this roundhouse and decided to paint the insides also. I have been using Modelflex Tuscan brown which looks  a good match for the trim on the AT&SF photos that we have been using for reference. I have deliberately left the centre window frames in grey ( after spraying them with a dull flat grey from a Tamiya Rattle can) as this is how they look in the pics also.
    I think they all look okay.
    The next step was to install the kit supplied window glass. I used the kit stuff on all of the rear wall sections however raided my wife's scrap-booking supplies and found to my surprise a self adhesive very thin sheet of clear plastic. Wow how cool is this stuff for windows. I carefully cut out the size for all of the side wall windows and just placed it in position and with a small amount of pressure voila it stuck firm. Very happy as you cannot see and edges to the glass like the kit supplied would look like. It hard to see it in my ordinary pics below but it does look good.
    Some more weathering to the outside of the two side walls plus some clear green and old white paint applied to make it look like some small panes of glass have been broken and replaced with a substitute.
   Next step is to start to add the side and rear walls and trusses so that should be fun.

Some pics below for reference.














Lots of sub assemblies sitting ready.
I would like to get this completed before Christmas so we'll see.
Rod