A Bit more progress

More painting of the Roundhouse.

    This is a very BIG roundhouse, so much to paint and detail so I had better get it right.
    Over the past few weeks I have been working on the interior and exterior of the walls along with painting and weathering all 13 trusses.
    As we are still renting it has been difficult to paint these items so when the spring sun came out for once a few weekends ago I took advantage of it and spray bombed the lot outside in the sun.
    A few coats of Tamiya Racing Car White ( its more of a light cream and the colour I was looking for) on the trusses and a few light passes of Tamiya Dark Red for all of the walls. These flashed of very quickly so I was able to get to work of dirtying up the trusses.
    As these are made to represent timber trusses I used the dry brush method and a variety of dark brown and light brown applied sparingly to just give them an aged look. They then received a spray of dullcote to flatten them down.
    The interior walls were next. Once these were dry I returned to my trusty bottle of Golden, Acrylic Titan Buff. This was kinda dry brushed all over the interior walls trying to keep the mortar lines free of any excess paint (the bricks in this kit are very small). This took two coats to get the colour I wanted.
     I am using these colours because the Santa Fe used to paint the interior of many of their roundhouse walls with a cream paint mixed on-site from powder.
    Next up was to apply vary sparingly a mix of Tamiya Panel line black and brown into the mortar lines. Hmmm that was somewhat painful and there is more to go. I also dry brushed some brown over the interior walls to get them a bit grubby followed by a bit of Pan Pastel, Brown, Grey and Black powders over the outside brickwork. 
    A fine brush to paint the concrete base flat grey on the lower portion of all the walls and the base of the windows and these are all about ready to fit into place.

     Windows, doors and roof to prepare then assembly.
Thanks for dropping by. Until next time.


Its been a while

More work done
     Over a month gone by with no work on the Roundhouse for John. Well I do have a very good excuse as our eldest daughter got married up in Brisbane where she has resided for the past several years and of course I had to give her away. It was a great wedding too with a lot of laughter and good wishes all round. I was given these socks to wear by my daughter so just had to show them off.

           For those that cannot read them (and I am one) it says "Father of the Bride" very swish.

    We took advantage of our 1600 kilometer drive to Brisbane to include a holiday on the Gold Coast and stay with friends in Ipswich for a few days.
    Anyway enough of that.
    Since returning late last week I started to install all 15 tracks into the floor of the roundhouse. John and I discussed which glue would be the best and eventually came up with a clear product that has worked very nicely. It was difficult to apply sparingly however I managed to get a good small even coat on the lower flange of the rail and then it was an easy job to fit the rail in the base made easy by the forming of a groove in which to place the rail in the Walthers manufacturing process. Well done Walthers.
    Once the track was placed in the correct position I placed a heavy metal weight on the track to ensure it made good contact.  Next job was to clean of any glue that had seeped from under the rail to ensure that it would not only look correct but that it did not remain to foul on any of the fine loco wheels that will reside in the shed.
    So after all the rails had a touch up of Tamyia Nato Flat Black paint, rail heads cleaned of any paint, two pieces one of 8 and another of 7 are finished waiting for the roof trusses and walls to be applied.

   The trusses and walls need painting and weathering so that will be the next step.

   Its going to be a very BIG roundhouse once completed and should look good once installed.

More next time so thanks for stopping by.