23/06/2018

Work in progress #5

Been working on a mine

     As it has been so cold this past week or more I decided to stay warm in the house and scratch build a mine for the RR.
    There are just so many mines in Colorado it is quite hard to decide just what will work so instead of purchasing a kit I decided that I would like something that no body else has along with what will fit in the area I want the mine to be placed.
     To get started I copied a plan of a J&J Pyrite mine of the web and then set about making changes as I drew up an elevation drawing that was to my liking.
     Once this was settled in my mind I started to stain all of the Basswood I purchased with MINWAX stains given to me by Bill. There is four different colours of stain and thirty lengths of strip wood each twenty four inches long. It didn't take that long to get them all stained and cut to a length of thirteen scale feet.
     The week before I purchased a sheet or two of 1000gsm black presentation board that I used to mock up the walls as a support for all the strip wood. Quarter inch balsa wood was used along the inside edges to help keep the walls straight and for each wall to attach to.
     It took all week to get the strip wood on and get the roof profile fitted. On Friday night I cut black craft paper (given to me by the boss) into strips four feet wide to use as tar paper for the roof area.
     Aileen's Tacky glue was used for all the surfaces and boy does it work well.

Well here is a few shots after completing the build today 

 

     The roof received a coat of Tamiya Flat Black followed by a dry brush of Grimy Black then a dusting of Raw Sienna while the walls received a dry brush of Green Earth powder that I have had for well over 30 years I think. I made the nail holes using a black 0.05 pen in a random fashion.
     All in all this has been a fun build.
Rod.

1 comment: