Wednesday, 24 August 2016

Sections on the wall

Layout sections have been lifted
    
    Okay now the real fun stuff begins. Once we found more of the wall studs we attached the angled brackets that John had modified. These were spaced a good distance apart but not so far that the sections could sag. These brackets allowed us to attach the layout sections to the brackets and not directly to the wall like I had done giving some flexibility in the layouts position considering all the cuts that had been made to section the layout. Flynn was lifted first however it was kept back from where the Perry section would fit so it could be slid into place.






     Then we started to work on lifting Perry. The Perry section was about 14 feet long and had a return section from where it connected to Udall. It was kinda flexible and so we reinforced the Right hand corner and waited until all the troops arrived to help lift it into its place below the widow.
   
     This lift went very well so with the guys still around the next section to be raised was the Winfield / Red Rock section. This section needed to be attached to Perry at the same location from whence it came and fortunately the locating pieces of L Girder fitted perfectly. Some lengths of 2 x1 pine to give us the correct height a few clamps and it was sitting quite nicely in place.
   
    The Hackney / Ponca section was next. It took a little extra effort to put into place as we wanted to get the alignment just right where it had been cut from the Winfield / Red Rock section. A bit of grunting from all the guys while some more bracing was put into place and it too was in place and looking darn good too.
The Winfield / Red Rock section in place. Perry is at the far end.

Flynn on the right, Perry at the far end and Hackney on the left.

     Before we lifted Udall John realized that he could get some additional space between Flynn and Hackney so we put a cut through Perry and extended it to the left by 13 inches. A bit of work in moving the BDLs that were tucked up underneath taken care of. To get the two peninsulas moved the same distance we placed some masking tape on the floor to mark where the sections needed to be moved to and moved them across inch by inch.

   
The sectioned out portion of Perry.
     The next to be raised was Guthrie. This was to be installed in a totally different position than when on the SFRSD. It has been installed in an old bedroom and is one of the reasons the bedroom wall was removed. Guthrie is to become a branch line under a new name (all to be revealed later).

Guthrie with a bit of Udall on the bottom Left hand.
    "Can we get more space between Winfield and Udall" John said as I ventured over for another work session. The plan was to cut Perry one more time and move the corner section over 6 inches. This would give more room and at the same time make the join to Udall so much easier.
     So here is the second cut.

More BDLs moved and all the wire are still long enough.
    Then Guthrie was moved to but against the corner section of Perry and both screwed into position.





    Next up Udall was lifted into position onto the wall on the far left hand side of Johns room.

Udall sitting nicely in place and with much more isle space between it and Winfield.
    Flynn was pushed into place up against Perry and so far its all looking like it was meant to be here.

    Well that's it for this update. More work is on the agenda for tomorrow so call back if you can.
Thanks
Rod.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. It certainly is a once in a lifetime achievement to see how this evolving.

    ReplyDelete