Sunday, 23 November 2014

Custom Painting Part 4

The next step
    
     After getting all the decals on, sealed with Solvaset and washed clean I asked Graham if he would let me have a go at weathering his loco. I was happy that he said yes as I could see that these Alco locos on the FNM were not that well cared for so weathering number 614 should hopefully come out looking like it was earning its keep once added to his fleet.
     My first task was to give the shell a wash to remove any decal setting solution. I did this in some luke warm water with just a hint of washing liquid in the water to help remove any contaminants. I let it air dry for a while and then the fun began. (Fortunately we had some warm weather so it did not take long for it to dry).
    The next step was to make the paint look like it had faded under the hot Mexican sun so I set about spraying the body, handrails and the fuel tank with a mix of Tamiya flat white mixed with a very small amount of Tamiya Red / Brown. This gave me a very light buff colour as a base on which to start the weathering.
     I took a very small amount of metal silver and dry brushed the trucks after I had given them a brush of flat black. This gave them a bit of highlight and made them look a little more worn around the edges.   
     Once the body and other items had dried (and that took no time at all) I gave them a spray of Testors Dullcote straight from the rattle can to seal the paint ready for the next step.
    I grabbed my bottle of Tamiya Panel Line Black and using about a 1/2 inch wide flat brush gave the whole body, fuel tank and walkways a wash only taking paint from the top of the bottle so it was not stirred and not too dark. Once this dried I took out some burnt umber oil paint mixed a dab with odourless thinners and added just a hint along the top of the body, on the nose and in the grills toward the back on the top also. I added a small amount on the fuel tank and on the trucks. I let all of this dry for quiet a while. Once dry I hit the top and sides of the body with some Pan Pastel Burnt Sienna pastels. I rubbed this in with a Pan Pastel applicator to get an even coat as this helped dull down the body even more. Another spray of DullCote and that was the body done.

    I'm rather happy the way Alco number 614 has turned out now Graham has to add a decoder (hopefully a loksound) and put it all back together and get it to earn its keep on his RR.

    My images are off a bit however here they are for what they are worth.



These top two images show the decaling finished

Sprayed with my mix of flat white and red/brown

And how the body looks after a bit of work
   The cab is not sitting as it should as the windows need fitting since they were removed to assist in painting without having to clean them.
   Once Graham has completed all of the assembly hopefully I can grab an image to show how it looks completely assembled.

Well that's it for today now onto decaling number two an Alco C424.
Thanks for popping in.
Rod.



    

No comments:

Post a Comment